Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Witnessed the fruits of discipline


During our retreat, we went to two free concerts at the U of M.  One was German Operatic performance (more classical style singing but it felt operatic to me with my untrained ear).  The next night we were treated to hear identical twin sisters from Yugoslavia (or thereabouts) play a number of pieces with classical guitars.  My word, they were incredible.  The hall was packed and their sweet, wholesome spirits radiated through their extremely talented performance.  We left uplifted and overjoyed to have been apart of such a experience.  Their names are Tanja and Darka Miric (just incase they are famous someday).

What struck me was the amount of work, focus, discipline and patience that these sisters had to go through on a daily basis from the time they were young in order to perform with such precision.  This performance was apart of their doctoral program.  I can't imagine having a identical twin, let alone having the exact same passion in life as anyone of my siblings.  I wonder the years they may have fought or were frustrated with the other and the possible jealously if one was excelling more than the other. 

If they did struggle through the years, it did not show.  All we saw were polished performers that truly reflected genuine goodness, enthusiasm and love for each other.  The audience was sucked into their sweet charm and our applauses returned a most energetic appreciation. If there were hard times and great sacrifices (I imagine there must've of.  That is the price we pay for greatness), it had paid off.

I look at these sisters and am inspired that with the same focus and discipline, I may have something truly great to offer this world.  Even if it is something small, I'll be grateful (I hope I will be). 

3 comments:

  1. The twins are some of my closest friends; I was roommates with one and suitemates with the other when they were working on their Bachelor's degree. I'm impressed that you were able to detect their sweet spirit so quickly even through their performance. You are absolutely right about how they reflect "genuine goodness, enthusiasm and love for each other." This is simply how they live their lives, both on the stage and off. They became Christians after they came to the states to study, and they have had a huge impact on my own walk with Christ. Their desire in performing is to bring glory to God and enjoyment to their audience. Thanks for your beautiful blog post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. How neat that you found my post about them. They are special girls!

      Delete
    2. They are! I stumbled across your post when I googled their names to see if I could find their most recent recital on youtube. Your blog looks wonderful! I'll have to start reading it regularly. I shared your post with the twins, and they were so touched and humbled by how God works. Blessings to you!!!

      Delete