Monday, December 31, 2012

Sleep to thrive

"Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise."
- Benjamin Franklin
 
We can learn a lot from the thriver, Ben Franklin.  Who doesn't want to be healthy, wealthy and wise.  My goal throughout January is improving the quality of my sleep on a consistent basis.  Sleep has been important to me since high school.  It has become more complicated in the last 5 years.  I have 4 reasons why sleep is a challenge.  I gave birth to them all.  :) 

I have a whole list of ways to improve sleeping that I look forward to being more diligent in practicing and forming strong habits.  I've heard different people say it takes 21days or 28 days to form a habit.  Well, I'm going to just work on this for the whole month of January and see how it pans out.  My plan is to share with you everything I'm working on.  If something sounds like a fit for you, please try it and let me know how it goes.  I would to hear your feedback.


Story Time: Our family was in UT for a wedding in December when this picture was taken.  My little girl was having so much fun with cousins.  It was hard to get her to settle down and rest.  So, I put Phinneas and Ferb on my phone for us to watch until she fell asleep. She slept the afternoon away which made for a long night. It was fun to snuggle with her for a bit.

My To-Sleep Better List
  • Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day. (I'm going to try 9:30 - 5:30 am)
  • Create an environment in my room conducive for a good nights rest.
  • Set up a routine for bedtime to help prepare myself for rest.
  • Plan my morning and the rest of the day the night before with the question in mind, "What can I get done or do tomorrow that will help me sleep well tomorrow night?"
  • Exercise
  • Water
  • Foods to avoid
  • Body Work
  • Cranial Sacral Therapy
  • Raindrop Therapy
  • Essential Oils
  • Breathing
  • Visualization exercises
  • Prayer/Meditation
  • Teas
  • Herbs/Supplement
  • Helping my children establish a better bedtime routine to help them sleep through the night (which will help me)
  • Healthy Eating habits

    Happy New Year!  Here's to a restful 2013!!!

4 comments:

  1. Hahahahaha. This it totally your hippie post.(not that I disagree with anything said, but your hippie post none the less!) Good luck with your goals. I'm going to try and wake up earlier. Jack still wakes up 2-4 times a night, and I am SOOOO tired in the morning. While 5:30 won't work with my night owl husband, I'm setting my alarm for 6:30 with the hopes of getting out of bed by 6:45. GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wouldn't be me without it, right? :) Ya, I think I'm going to have to rethink the amount of time I sleep. That is going to be hard. Michael is still waking up during the night. It is my goal. I'm practicing, right?

      Delete
  2. I've found a bedtime routine helps everyone sleep better. I try to go to sleep at the same time every night even if I don't have to go to work the next morning. I make the kids do the same. It doesn't always work but most of the time it does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better sleep was my New Year's resolution, so I'll be following this goal closely!

    ReplyDelete